Sunday, February 19, 2012

Part 3, Chapter 1
 P.S. THE END

just the beginning


My whole life I felt like I never belonged anywhere. I always remembered being passed back and forth between family and friend members.  When I turned seven, that’s when it all finally stopped…

I never knew much about my parents but I always knew that my mother was unhappy. I knew deep down inside that something was always wrong, but I was always too young to comprehend it all.

She became very sick when I was about three or four years old and it seemed as if she was getting worse as time passed by. The very last memory I had with her was the day before my 8th birthday. I remembered her telling me “I love you so much Spencer and don’t you forget that, okay?”
All I could do was nod in confusion.
“Tomorrow’s you’re big day. Don’t let me get in the way of that alright? Mommy will see you soon” Her voice was so weak, but through all the cracks and strains I couldn’t help but tear up.

She kissed me weakly on my forehead and walked out the front door.


What I remember about my father was how… different he was. The only normal thing about him was his goofy personality. Either way, I hung onto that like a sponge. He was the only thing that took my mind away from mother and helped me be a kid.

I loved my father, but he never had that connection that my mom and I had. Even though my grandmother took care of me a lot, my father never forgot about his role. He would take me out of the house, whether we were headed to a football game or just a simple walk in the park, he never went a day without showing he loved me. That is, until my mother walked out the front door.

I never imagined my life would be like this at eighteen years of age. I always believed that my parents would have been here to witness my graduation, to take me to get my first car, and lecture me about achieving my first job. But now… everything isn’t what I expected and I always wonder ‘what if’. What if my parents were still here? What if I had that perfect family that I hear so many of my peers brag about? What if…

“So you actually did it”
I was woken up from my thoughts once Kyndal’s voice entered my ears “huhh?” I looked up at him in a daze.
“huhh?” Kyndal mimicked “ I said you finally did it. You, for some odd reason, died you’re hair black” He shook his head in disbelief.
I sighed and mumbled under my breath, slightly forgetting that Kyndal was present.
“Yo, dude… what? I can’t quit hear ya with all that mumbling” Kyndal stood there with a frown.
I shrugged “My mom’s hair was black”.
I heard him let out a huge sigh as he took a deep breath “Spenc… even though you’re mom passed away, doesn’t mean she isn’t with you. You have to feel it mann. You need to know and believe in that”.
I attempted a smirk.
“Anyways, the whole gang is headed to Kyle’s. You comin’ ?”

I nodded.

“Cool. I’ll meet ya in the car”


As we headed up towards Kyle’s house, I could hear a nice beat of music coming from inside.
I looked over at Kyndal “Are ya’ll still doing that band thing?”

“Yeah and it looks like I’m a little late” His walk turned into a faster pace.


Sure enough, Kyle and Gavin we’re the conclusion to the noise.
“Hey you two. ‘Bout time you guys made it. We just got started Kyndal, just pick up where we are at” Kyle smiled brightly as his worries for his lead guitarist not showing up proved false.
Kyndal went straight to the guitar and before you knew it, they we’re making beautiful music.

“Hey Spenc, why don’t you join the band?” Gavin yelled out as he continued playing the bass.
I just shrugged.
“Spencer is letting depression eat him up lately” Kyndal rolled his eyes. I knew Kyndal has been annoyed with how I been acting lately.
Kyle broke the awkward response “I’m sure we’ll get him into it one of these days”
With that said, they continued to play as I just stood there.

“I can’t handle the awful noise myself sometimes”

I jumped as the sound of Kyle’s brother, Wess, caught me off guard.
“You feeling froggy there boy?” Wess let out a chuckle “Go eat something. Kailee made some darn good salad not too long ago”.
“Kailee?” I cocked my head to the side as I couldn’t picture who he had mentioned.
“Kailee, Gavin’s sister… you met her like… about two weeks ago” Wess laughed “Dang man, Kyndal wasn’t lying when he said you were going to be a little out of it” Wess walked away shaking his head.

I focused my attention towards the kitchen, and right then and there I saw who Wess was talking about. Once my memory regained, I made my way over, my stomach grumbling for some salad.


“Oh my gosh, you died your hair didn’t you?” Kailee looked at me with a sweet smile.
I huffed out a laugh “Yeah… I guess I did”
“we’ll it doesn’t look half bad. I did like you’re brown hair better though. After all, your mom’s real hair was brown”. She winked and left me there alone. I watched her make her way towards the bookcase where she usually found her daily book.
I stood there lost in thought at what she just said. “I can only remember her black hair…” I mumbled to myself as I wiped a tear rolling down my cold cheek. 

I let out a long sigh before I took my first bite into the well cut salad.
“Babe!”
My body jumped a little. I looked up with a weak smile as Leeya made herself comfortable upon the chair across from me.
“You haven’t been answering my calls lately. I was beginning to think you were abducted or something” Her smile was consistent.
“I haven’t been myself lately. That’s all” I looked back down towards my salad and continued to eat.
Her tone changed “I see that…”
I glanced back up towards her and noticed some sadness overtake her expression.

“Come on, let’s walk to the movies” I got up from the table as I gulped down my last bite of lettuce.
Her face immediately lit up “Really?”
I nodded in agreement. 

“So is all of this about your mother?” Leeya asked five minutes into the walk.
“Look, none of you guys understand my situation. Not one of you has met my mother or father before. Kyndal was four years old the last time he saw them so he’s no exception either. Can you guys just please give me some space about it” I bluntly huffed out in annoyance. I am so tired of everyone putting this in my face.
“Woaaaa, calm down. I was just asking Spenc…”
I didn’t respond and we kept walking with only the grass making conversation under our feet.
“Is our relationship too much for you?” Leeya broke the silence as her mind wondered.
“No” Was all I said. Neither one of us spoke another word until we reached the theater.

We didn’t speak that much inside the theatres. I just need some peace right now… quiet and peace at last. 

As we returned home, I couldn’t help but long for a nice comfy bed.

“Thank you for taking me out Spenc. It was nice”
I could tell Leeya was a little disappointed.


“No problem Leeya. I am sorry that we haven’t spent much time together. I’m just going through one of my phases again” A smirk squeezed through my mouth. I tried to be as sincere as possible.
Leeya took a step towards me, smiling.

Her soft lips overcame mine and before I knew it, I was mesmerized by her sweet fruity scent. I couldn’t remember the last time I kissed those familiar lips that I used to be attached to so well in the past. It all seems so vague to me now, but for some odd reason, it felt really good. 

I pushed her body more towards mine as I kissed her deeply. My mind became lost in a fantasy and I couldn’t help but continue. I felt her warm hands go down my back gently, making me more anxious than I already was. I felt as if a fire ball engulfed us, but we were soon sucked out as Leeya broke the embrace. 

She cleared her throat and took a deep breath, releasing all her emotions that had gained up so quickly. “I’m going to bed. You should get to bed too”.
She gave me a peck on the cheek and quickly made her way inside the same room she always goes in when she sleep’s over at Kyle’s.

I leaned up against the old wooden desk, my mind racing. Why can’t I just be happy like everybody else… Am I ruining my relationship with Leeya? Do I even care?
I shook my head, not knowing what to think or do.

“Hey, are you okay?”
I turned my head and noticed Kailee come out of the room. I turned my attention back to the air that was in front of me. “Why aren’t you asleep?”
“I kind of like my own bed, so I’m heading back to my apartment” Kailee yawned.
“Your brother lives here?” I asked plainly.

“Yes”


“Do you mind if I stay at your place? I don’t really feel like being here right now” I looked back at her waiting for a response.

“You don’t want to go home?” She looked confused.

I shook my head.
“okay” Was all she said before I followed her out the front door.

“Look at you and your fancy elevator” I smiled at her in a jokingly manner.
Kailee smiled and shook her head. I could tell she was ready to hit the sac.


“It looks exactly the same sense when I came up here the first time. Neat and clean” 

I loved Kailee’s apartment. The smell made it feel so cozy inside and I felt more at home than any other place that I have been.
“Okay, I’m ganna go get ready for bed. Make yourself comfortable. Do you remember where the extra bedroom is?”
I nodded with a smile.
She returned the grin then disappeared into her room.

I couldn’t quite fall asleep yet so I decided to waste an hour or so watching whatever that was on tv.

My ears perked up as I heard Kailee calling me from inside her room.


“Coming!” I yelled. I made a good stretch, then got up and made my way to her whereabouts.


I was immediately caught off guard “Oh! I’m sorry! I’ll wait out the d—“
“Spencer your fine, it’s not like you haven’t seen a girl in her pj’s before” She continued to look at herself in the mirror “Anyways, my contacts came in today and I wanted your opinion on how I look. Don’t laugh at me!”
I quickly focused my eyes to just her face, straining not to look elsewhere “We’ll, let me have a see”.

She hesitated for a moment, but soon she gave in.


Her eyes were beautiful. I didn’t think that glasses could hide so much but… man.

She started to blush in embarrassment “So?”
“You look very beautiful Kailee” I let out the realest smile that I haven’t let out in a long time.
She let out a sigh of relief “Really? It looks so abnormal to me”
“Isn’t that how it always is?” I replied with a wink.
“Yeah… like your hair” She looked disgusted “Here I bought this a while ago for no reason at all I guess. So I want you to go take a shower and rub this shampoo in your hair. It should take care of the problem”.
I looked down at the shampoo and back at her.
“Go now. Get out of my room and go take a shower” She pushed me out and shut the door behind me.


It took me about twenty minutes to get the job done. Once I stepped out I knew I would be back to myself in no time and I couldn't wait for that.

I walked out of the bathroom and to my surprise, Kailee was right there to greet me.

“Awh look at you!”
I looked away “Don’t make me feel stupid”
“Spenc, you look exactly how you are supposed to look. Now keep it that way”
I looked at you pathetically “Yes mom”
She pushed my arm playfully “Oh stop it! Time for bed!”

“But I can’t sleep…” I told her honestly.

“You need it though. How about I stay in your room and we can talk until you sleep. How ‘bout that?”
I smiled up at her in agreement. 


“So how come you live all by yourself in this place? Aren’t you and Leeya like bestfriends? I expected her to move in with you”

Kailee shook her head “No she likes it over at Kyle’s. I don’t mind at all. I like being alone”
I made a slight scan of the bedroom “No pet’s either?”
“I love horses, but that’s a dream that can’t be brought here” She laughed softly “How is Zura? That dog loves you”
“She is getting old. She turned fifteen not too long ago. That part of life sucks” A slight hint of gloominess escaped my lips.
Kailee just laid there smiling “Oh! Before I forget!” She jumped straight off the bed and headed out of the room.
When she came back, she had a something small perched inside her hand.
“Here, you left this that time you all came up here. It was when you met me”
I looked down and realized it was a photo.
My heart dropped.


“You told all of us that your grandma took the last family picture of you and your parents when you were seven. Your mom dressed up so she didn’t look sick in the picture…” Kailee’s words trailed off as all the memories, good and bad, came back to life.

“That’s my parents” Was all I could say as a salty tear rolled down my face.









No comments:

Post a Comment